Monday, February 2, 2009

Shower in Review






I was in charge of Decorations and Games. Here's what our tables looked like. Notice the cupcakes. I also made the centerpieces for the tables. All the stuff came from the dollar store. Now that I am jobless, the more money I can save the better.



Then, there's the candy pacifiers that I made from jelly beans, royal icing, and peppermint life savers. These were a real hit with the kids. I have seen these made before at a shower 4 years ago and I couldn't wait to try them out.



The rest of the food was amazing. My mother-in-law just outdid herself with crab cakes, two kinds of meatballs, mini quishes, three kinds of chicken wings, mini sandwhiches, pasta salads and much more. Needless to say we all got to take home leftovers.


My sister-in-law Sunni holding the bear that I made for baby Izryl. With all the gifts that she recieved I know that she has the things that she needs to welcome her little bundle home. I know that she was worried that he would be born before the shower, but lucky for her and those of us giving the shower, he stayed put, and now has plenty of clothes, bottles, and diapers when he comes home.
I always get pretty emotional at showers. I tried not to think about myself most of the day, but once Sunni opened handmade sweaters and blankets from her grandma and mother, I began to get sad. It's not that I don't think they will knit or crochet for my kids, or even that they won't have a shower for me, because they said they will. It's just the grieving for the baby I will never carry. When will that feeling go away? I suppose it never will.
Enough wining. I am on pins and needles waiting for the phone call from the SW this week telling us that everything is done and we are set to go on matching!

2 comments:

Torina said...

Looks like it was a great shower! I get emotional at those, too. I don't even WANT a baby anymore and it still hurts that I can't have one. My adoption worker said it best...she said that there will always be a hole in your heart where your bio baby would have been...and that is okay.

Linda B said...

I agree with what Torina said. It's been 20 years since we've given up with the infertility stuff and adopted. It hurts less as time goes on. I don't want a baby anymore either, and I never ever thought I would say that. Being close to people who are very pregnant or holding a newborn is very emotional. I'm happy the shower was a hit! I don't think I've commented on your blog, but I do read it....I'm here from Torina's.