Thursday, March 4, 2010

Melt Down

Last night LG had a melt down and I physically had to pick her up and put her in timeout. It all started with homework. She was sharpening her pencil and the sharpener opened up because she was turning it instead of the pencil; and all the pencil shaving showered over her lap.
She looked at me and said,"It's not my fault, the sharpener just opened up." I calmly said, " It was an accident, but it was your fault. All you need to do is say your are sorry and clean it up." She didn't look at me, just kept sharpening all the pencils she had in her bag.
I calmly said, "Let's pick it up, I will help you." Still no response.
I took the pencil out of her hand and began to count. 1, 2... As I got to two she put her self in timeout. I set the timer, and went upstairs to retrieve something from the livingroom. I heard her getup and when I came back she was slyly walking from her room.
At this point I was fuming, but held it together, and said that the time would start over. Her response, "I don't care, I can stay in timeout all night." I didn't want that, I was already mentally drained from the day and crossed my fingers that wouldn't happen.
So, again she was in timeout on the chair. I moved to the kitchen to do the dishes where I could see her in her chair. She reached for her reading book. We were told by her therapist that she shouldn't have any distractions in time out. I went over and took the book, but then she started to grab other things on the table. I was shaking inside because she was being so defiant. I had never seen her act that way before. So, I picked her up from the chair and put her in the corner like a toddler. At this point she punched that wall and I told her I was going to add 5 minutes for the offense, which I did.
Sitting in the corner, she began to tear at the cuff of her sleeve. Her therapist said that we should give her consequences for ruining her things when she's mad. So, I told her I would take 5.00 from her bank if she ruined the shirt. To my surprise this stopped the assault on her shirt.
Then she said she had to go to the bathroom. This I knew was not true because she had gone only 10 minutes before. I told her that she had to hold it until she was done in timeout. I knew it was only a few minutes until the timer rang, and if she really had to go she would be able to hold it until then. The rest of timeout was uneventful.
After the timer sounded, I told her several times she could get up, but she didn't want to. I told her it was her choice to stay in the corner. Once she came out of the corner I calmly asked her if she wanted to talk about what happened and how she was feeling. She didn't of course, but went to her room and came back a few moments later with a piece of paper where she had drawn a sad face and written the words "Sad" and "Frustrated". I gave her a hug and cleaned up the chair of the shavings. Then we began her homework and everything was back to normal. I don't think I will ever get used to these blowouts with LG, but I am glad we can easily recover from them.

No comments: