Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cooking

My little girl loves to cook with me, so yesterday I looked up a traditional Liberian recipe. We are planning on cooking it together tonight. I am really excited to try something that comes from her native foods. She was really excited when I suggested that we try it. Her favorite is Jollof rice. I do intend to make that another day, as the recipe would serve quite a few people. I could reduce the recipe, and I might when I have some more time. One thing at a time. I will try and post some pictures of our culinary adventure tomorrow and let you know how it tastes. My husband love cornbread of any kind as do I, so I am sure we will all enjoy it.
Wish us luck.

LIBERIAN CORN BREAD
Liberian cornbread is much sweeter than ours and is eaten as a dessert.
1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. flour, sifted
2 c. corn meal
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. orange or lemon flavoring
1 1/2 c. milk
3 tsp. baking powder
Cream butter and sugar well. Add flavorings. Add eggs and beat well. Mix flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with milk. Bake in greased 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees about 40 minutes.

No comments: