Friday, July 24, 2009

Connecting with Family across the pond

(my great-grandmother Britha Hambre Larsdatter, second from the right)


A few years ago I was fortunate enough while doing some family research to happen upon a distant cousin in Norway. He's from my maternal great-grandmother's side of the family and I am so happy to have found him. Recently we have been trading a lot of documents and photos. I went searching in the lock box that was in my grandfather's office when my grandmother died. I have looked in the lock box before, but this time with a purpose of finding things that would be of interest to my Norweigen cousin. I found a newspaper article with a photo of all my great grandmothers brothers and sisters which I immediatly sent to him. Since I cannot read Norweigen I asked him to translate it for me. I cannot wait to hear back what it says. It's also been helpful to determine the names of the people that I have pictures of, but don't know who they are.
I am so thankful that we were able to connect. It's been great getting to know a little about my great-grandmother who died when I was a baby. I have a photo where she is holding me on her lap when I was not even a year old. What a blessing it is to get to know about her and her family even if it's long after she took her last breathe.

No comments: