Sunday, December 13, 2009

First/Second meeting with my daughter

On Friday at 4:00pm we drove up to a cute little house in the city. I was really nervous. It's not everyday that you meet your daughter for the first time. As Jerry and I walked up to the door we saw her through the window sitting at the dining room table. She saw us and jumped up from her chair. She didn't come to the door to greet us. She was nervous as well.

We were greeted by her foster mom and the family dog Olive, a boxer. I could see LG from the corner of my eye as we took off our coat and shoes. She was intently trying to figure us out. As we made our way to the table she dropped some coins on the floor and headed under the table to pick them up. She would not return to her seat for 10 minutes. Her therapist told us that she was very nervous and excited. The photo album I made for her lay on the table with a few questions for us on a sheet of notebook paper.

We didn't push her to come up from under the table to meet us, but eventually she did. Once she was out she was bouncing all over the place with nervous energy. Finally, we got her to sit down and read us the life book that she made when she was 7. We learned all about her likes and dislikes, her favorite foods, colors, and songs.

Her therapist left once everything calmed down and her foster mom served us hot cider and crackers and cheese. She then excused herself too, so that we could have a moment together alone. I asked her if I could take her picture, and she beemed. We got a group photo of the 3 of us that I will charish always. Then she showed us her room, and every other room in the house.

The family had plans that night to see a play, so we gathered up our things to leave our little girl. She kept asking her foster mom why we couldn't go to the play too. That was a relief to hear, because at least she liked us and wanted to spend some more time together.

As we left I wanted to give her a hug, but was nervous how she would react to that, so I didn't. I wish I would have.

Then yesterday Jerry and I got up at 7:00am and cleaned the house up a bit and then set off to pick up our little girl. This would be the first time she would see her new home, pets, and room. It was exciting. As we pulled up in front of the house she was ready and waiting. She waved to us through the window. She gathered up her things, put on her coat and boots, and we were off for a day at our house.

On the ride home we asked her questions and she asked questions of us. It was a good trip. There was no stress, and I hope she wasn't too nervous. I think she was feeling more at ease because she wasn't as bouncy as the first time we met. Once we got to the house she voiced her concerns about the dogs. She hasn't had much exposure to pets. We let her know that it would be alright and gave her some tips about how to get rid of the dogs if they were bothering her.

She loves our house and especially her room. She kept asking if she could move in right away. I wish she could, but I know that she can't. She has a whole week of school left before Christmas break, and it's just better that she can finish out her time at her old school and make a clean break and a fresh start at her new one. We did let her take a couple of books with her and the santa hat and reindeer antlers that she wore all day.

While she was here we put up our Christmas tree and it looks perfect. She kept saying how beautiful and colorful it was. Every ornament she touched she was thrilled with. It was a great feeling having the 3 of us together put up the tree.

When we took her to her foster home, I made sure to give her a hug this time. I can't wait to give her a million more!
I wish I could post pictures from our day so that my relatives and friends could share in our meeting, but unfortunatly I can't yet, but as soon as the adoption is final, I will post them.

Today she will spend the whole day with us. We are baking christmas cookies! I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

sounds like an incredible weekend!

Barry and Amy said...

How awesome!!

So excited for you!